Monday, February 13, 2012

Curious

cu•ri•ous adj.
1. Eager to learn more: curious investigators; a trapdoor that made me curious.
2. Unduly inquisitive; prying.
3. Arousing interest because of novelty or strangeness: a curious fact.
4. Archaic
     a. Accomplished with skill or ingenuity.
     b. Extremely careful; scrupulous.

I've started this blog to give myself an outlet for my thoughts, without having to follow a  plan like i tried in "and how to be good" or keeping topic-specific as in the yogablog.  My whole life is centered around words, and I think I'll use whatever words I like at the moment to serve as an introduction to whatever I want to talk about. Hope you'll enjoy!

I just finished reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon. It is one of the books for my "Contemporary British Novel"-class, and it's truly a blast. The story is told from the point of view of an autistic teenage boy, and does so really well. I liked this book a lot; I found the over clarifying language soothing.

Having to read contemporary novels for a class has turned out to be somewhat of a treat for me! I have read so much fantasy (Terry Pratchett, Garth Nix and J.R.R.Tolkien mostly) over the last few years, I had almost forgot how much of a thrill reading literary fiction can be. Luckily, Atonement by Ian McEwan was the first book on the list, gently leading me by the hand into a literary bonanza of mundane words used in glamorous ways and archaic, unusual and rare words used as if they were ingredients in an average recipe. The way it's written is absolutely beautiful. The second part, with the wartime descriptions is by far the best in my opinion, and some of the images written out in those pages... I think of them every day. 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is brilliant Amelia.
    I agree, Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" is amazing. It is one of my all-time favourite books.

    ReplyDelete